Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Russian Grandmother

Today is my grandmothers 84th Birthday and I wanted to cherish some memories of times past and present, let her know that she is a strong person and has overcome huge difficulties. Her background is extroidenary and often baffles me; when I was in grade school I wrote papers
about her, and actually brought her into school for "show n tell"; Her story amazes me to this day. Ya see, my grandmother, Nonna Ilona Alexenco Bull-Leister was born and raised in Russia; her mother a dancer/performer and her father a professor, she had only one older sister. I'm sure living in Russia in that era was hard enough to face, but then World War II happened, and her life was forever changed - completely flipped up side down, she and her sister were taken from their parents, put on a train and hauled like cattle to a concentration camp. Half way to there destination the train was bombed, the cart she was in was unharmed, but the front part of the train (where her parents were put) was destroyed, in her mind they were dead. Having only her sister, the clothing on there backs, no shoes, food, nothing, she was now living in a German concentration camp at the age of 15. She survived. And steming from this horrific tale comes love, she met my precious grandfather whom was a British soldier during the war.
Frank, Ilona, Nonna, Yvonne, Peter (all 4 kids)
Eventually after the war broke he brought her to his home in England, where she taught herself to speak english, they were married and started a family. While in England, they had four children, all of which were young when they decided to come to America for a better life. They packed up all 4 kids, a suitcase, $100 and came to this country on the Queen Elizabeth in 1955.
The rest is history - together they made a great life for there children; thru hard work, dedication and survival. She is a tough woman, and has conquered so much.
Grandma, Me & Megan 2008


I love her dearly; and I wish her the very best birthday today! xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

LilleLuBella | creative commons attribution- noncommercial license | blog designed by ljkc.